Here’s a middle distance high school workout. It’s mostly freestyle though I’ve included a stroke/IM set in as well.
It works on a couple of themes that I really like.
- Has kids focus on various stroke techniques.
- Works on race strategy (how to pace a race).
- Lots of fast swimming but nothing greater than 90% effort.
- Obviously, distances/rest/sets can always be adjusted to time and ability.
- I finish each main set with something short and fast. A common theme to the workout.
- I’m focusing on 200’s. I’ll do another workout for 500’s next.
Warm-up: 1,000 yards
- 200 easy, 100 kick (25 dolphin kicks underwater then kick on side) Works on streamlines/underwaters and then balance on side) x 2
- 4 x 50 descend and build. Each 50 gets faster, 2nd 25 is faster. Focus on walls, turns, finish. X 2
Technique Set 1,000 yard
- 200 freestyle (50 focus on body position, 50 focus on catch/DPS, 50 focus on kick, 50 focus on 85% putting it all together but staying relaxed.) X 4
- 4 x 50 at average 200 race pace. 10 seconds rest (more rest if needed. Main emphasis is practicing holding the pace. Only one time through so they know they won’t get killed afterwards.
IM Set: 1,100 yards
- 3 x 200 stroke or IM (25 free easy, 25 fly, 25 free easy, 25 back, etc. Can be done all one stroke. Swim strokes at about 80% with good walls and build up effort.
- 150 stroke (25 no board kick, 25 drill, 25 stroke repeat) x 2
- 8 x 25 fast of stroke or IM. 10 seconds rest 85%. Swim fast and relaxed. (I like finishing sets off with fast/relaxed swimming for shorter distances with rest).
Main Set 1,200 yards
- 100 free easy, 200 free race technique (50 build, 100 hold, 50 fast. Or anyway that you like them to race pace a 200. Keep max effort around 85%. Focus is on learning to race the event, not so much on conditioning. Intervals can be fairly tight as they have a swim down set and they aren’t going super fast.) X 4
- 8 x 25 fast free with 5 seconds rest at average 200 goal race pace.
Swim Down Set 200 yards
1. 50 at 70%, 50 at 60%, 50 at 50%, 50 at 0%
Total yards, 4,600